Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Falling off my bandwagon!


I LOVE this time time of year, don't you?  There is so much to this season, that would be a blog all on its own.

Besides the love, celebration and goodwill that occurs, I have to admit what I enjoy the most is all the get togethers that go on.

This past weekend was no exception.  A weekend full of activities and parties and once again, I had to remind myself to "practice what I preach".  It should thrill everyone to know that I fall off my "health" bandwagon  often during the holiday season, but I dust myself off and keep enjoying.

With that said, I am sharing with you my personal tips that I use to keep a jingle and not a jiggle in my step.

1. Water, water, water - did I mention water?  The most IMPORTANT thing you can do for yourself is keeping yourself hydrated.  You should aim for 100 oz. a day.  If that sounds like a lot, then gradually work your way up by adding 8 oz. every day.

If you are like me and enjoy your wine or eggnog at parties, then water will be your best friend.  Alcohol is  a HUGE de-hydrator.  It is your body reacting to dehydration that causes the hangover blues.  Start the evening off with a big glass of water and aim to drink a big glass between each alcoholic beverage.  Before you head to bed, drink at least 8-16 oz. of water.

2. Clean eating - Easier said than done, believe me, I know.  The party I attented this past  Saturday night had the most incredible spread of food.  The hostess truly outdid herself.

How did I tackle the table?  I first did a walk around, checking out all the wonderful offerings. I then loaded up my plate with the "raw" food offerings.  This would be the veggies and in this case, berries. I then added some protein, the cured sliced meats and mushrooms stuffed with meat.

My plate was pretty full.  In fact, one guest made the comment of why don't I put down my plate and just grab the veggie plate instead.  Dramatic, but you get my drift.

Filling myself up in this manner made the sweets less desirable when I made my second sweep.  At this point I was full and just a couple of brownie bites with some more raspberries did the trick.

3.  Eat before you go out - If you know where you are headed will be all about tempting foods, then eat something healthy before you head out.  I  like to make  myself  my "Recharge Green Smoothie" to fill me up.  This shake is full of nutrients and dense leafy greens, that before I step out the door I am already ahead of the game.  *Don't knock it until you have tried it*

4. Exercise - No, obviously not in preparation of going out, but during the week. You should be doing this year round anyway, but it is especially important right now when the stress of getting everything and everyone marked off your list can get overwhelming.

You don't have to devote yourself to an hour long session on the treadmill. Find yourself a class or DVD that is short but high intensity and builds muscles with weights and prefarrbly your body as the main weight.

I personally do Crossfit at our local Georgetown Crossfit.  I love it, makes me feel great, works out the stress and makes me stronger with each workout I do.

5. Take time for yourself - I know I say this all the time, but it is so important that you do not forget about YOU.  Without you, everybody else flounders.  Oh, come on admit it.  You know they do. 
Take a walk, shop, get a mani/pedi, a massage or best yet carve out a little quiet time to meditate.  Meditate to music, the word of God or just to the glorious silence around you.  Believe me, your mind and body will thank you.

Well, that is it in a nutshell.  Not to hard to follow just sometimes hard to remember.  Don't beat yourself up and don't fret over the slips.  I live by 80/20 rule.  80% of the time I eat 100% healthy and the other 20% I allow myself indulgences.

Now, go be healthy!
Sandra


0 comments: