Saturday, November 19, 2011

Oh my sweet potato

Tis the season I suppose, but lately I have been having a love affair with sweet potatoes.  I can't say I have ever been a huge fan of these tubers, especially if they weren't loaded down with marshmallows, brown sugar, butter or any other kind of condiment to make them yummy. Are marshmallows a condiment?

However, for the past couple of months I have been receiving a continuous supply of these potatoes in my CSA box.  What is a CSA box?  Well, it is a "community support agriculture" box that comes loaded full of fresh veggies from a local farm. I will be blogging on my CSA next time.

So, with all these potatoes gathering in my kitchen, I knew I had to get beyond the sp fries and bland plain potato.  With that said, I have been on high alert to every sweet potato recipe that has crossed my path and the following are my two current favorites shared by fellow health coaches.

Sweet Potato with goat cheese
So simple to make and so satisfying to eat. Once you have cooked your potato, you can eat it whole or cut it up into pieces.  Goat cheese is a strong cheese, so a little goes a long way and there is no need for any other additions except for you choice of herb (if desired).  This is also great tossed with some fresh, organic lettuce greens.


Sweet Potato Custard
This was so easy to make. I used left over cooked sweet potatoes and my Blendtec blender to whip it up.  An hour in the fridge and presto, it was ready.
My kids LOVED it, a little went a long way and 2 or 3 bites was enough to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Combine a cooked, mashed sweet potato with 1/2 cup of unsweetened almond milk, 1/2 tsp. of cinnamon, 1/4 tsp. of nutmeg and a dash of cloves. Blend till smooth.  Add stevia (if needed) to taste.  Eat warm or cool for an 1 hour in the fridge.


Tonight I came across another recipe that I am excited to try.  I have been trying to figure out what to do with the collard greens that came in my CSA box and this is perfect.  

Almond Chicken Soup with Sweet Potatoes, Collard Greens and Ginger.




So, with Thanksgiving right around the corner what are your favorite sweet potato recipes that do not involve the dish looking like Mt. Everest during a tremendous snow blizzard?

0 comments: