Thursday, February 23, 2012

No time to make dinner? Easy Peasy Meal!


I came across this picture yesterday and it was particularly timely for me, because I had been feeling this way the last couple of days.  How about you?  Ever feel like this?

If there is one thing I hear all the time, is that you don't have time to cook dinner or if you do have time, making it healthy is even harder.  Well, I am here to share with you one of my easiest meals that I frequently whip up for my family and I know you can do it as well.

Roasted chicken.  You know those yummy rotisserie chickens that you buy already cooked at the grocery store?  They also make a turkey breast that is pretty darn tasty.

These little chickadees come in very handy when you don't have time to bake a chicken or running on the fly between activities. Pretty much every grocery store sells them, even Costco and Sam's.  However, my preference is Whole Foods or Sprouts.  Their chickens tend to be less fatty than the normal grocery store, plus when buying from Whole Foods, I know I am buying a hormone free, natural chicken.  

As my side, I whip a big pan of swiss chard sauteed in coconut oil, garlic and shallots. Right before eating, I squeeze a lemon all over.  Swiss chard is considered to be one the healthiest vegetables around.  It is loaded with vitamin A, K and C, minerals, fiber and protein.

I load my serving of chard with cut up meat from my chicken, slice an avocado over the top and if I have them, I sprinkle some pumpkin or sunflower seeds over the top.  YUM!

Easy right?  But I am not done yet.  These chickens keep on giving.  Don't throw him out just yet!!

When I am done with the first meal, I do not discard the carcass.  Usually the next day or the next, depending on time, I make my own stock with the carcass.

I cut up a bunch of carrots, celery and onions, throw them in the pot with the carcass and fill with water until it is covered.  I add a dash of Celtic sea salt and a dash of apple cider vinegar. The acv works at drawing the minerals out the the bones. I then simmer for several hours.  I am here to tell you, this broth tastes so much better than any store bought broth that you buy. This can also be done in a crock pot.

Did you know that bone broth is very healthy for you?  Yes, your mother was right.  It is so full of minerals that your body needs, it strengthens your immune system, aides in digestion of your food and it is so good for all parts of your body that are related to collagen.

Once cooked, anywhere from 6-14 hours, I strain it and store it in the refrigerator overnight.  If there was any meat left on the carcass, it will come off easily.  I clean it up and reserve for whatever soup I will be making.

Soup making time!! If you desire, skim the fat layer off the top of the broth but this fat will not harm you.

I make my "Everything But The Kitchen Sink" soup.  I will throw in every vegetable I have into the broth, plus the leftover chicken.  If I have some quinoa or quinoa pasta, I will add that to the broth as well.  Right towards the end of cooking, I will add cabbage or chard leaves that I may have on hand.  Season as desired.

  

This will make a huge pot of soup and you will have another lovely meal plus leftovers. So you see? Making dinner does not have to be such a huge chore.  I promise you, try this one time and it will become one of your go to meals.

To your health,
Sandra

If you are ready to make a change with your health but need some help, as a trained Certified Health Coach it is my goal to help those "make healthy the new normal".  Read more about it here.

0 comments: