Friday, February 10, 2012

Wild About My Greens!




If you have spent anytime with me in the last year, either in person, reading my blog or following me on Facebook/Twitter, then you have at some point read or heard me go on and on about my green smoothie shakes.  What you may not know, is how much I LOVE them!!


At first glance, the thought of downing a huge glass of sometimes fluorescent green fluid, does not seem appealing to most.  However, I tell people not to knock it until they have tried it.  True, it is an acquired taste, but it really is delicious. I promise!


It seems that every time I turn around, there is one more article, blog, tweet about the power of super green smoothies.  You may ask, "what's the big deal?".  Today it is my mission to inform/educate you as to why they are so great.


How many of you have trouble getting in your daily requirements of vegetables, much less eating them at all?


Imagine being able to get your daily quota of green veggies, minerals, vitamins, phytonutrients, etc. all in one drink and be on your merry way.  Though I make it a point to eat vegetables at every meal, there are times I don't.  I don't stress about it knowing I started my morning off right.


This one powerful green smoothie is good for weight loss, digestive health, support of your immune system, energy, clear skin, plus it is filling to boot.  Fiber is king when it comes to our health and eating dark leafy greens is the best way to get it.  There is no shortage of fiber in this drink.


When making your green smoothie, you are using raw vegetables.  Raw vegetables are teaming with live enzymes which help your body in the digestive area.  A few benefits of raw food are:


1. more energy
2. easier and faster digestion
3. helps your body detoxify all those pesky toxins we take in every day.


Making your green smoothie is really quite simple and a good blender or food processor is key.  However, I will have to say in order to get a perfectly blended smooth drink, a powerful blender is necessary.  I personally use a Blendtec but a Vitamix is just as good.  These babies are expensive, but well worth their weight in gold if you plan to blend every single day.  My Blendtec gets used a minimum of 3 times a morning.



What do I  put in my smoothies?  It usually depends on what I have on hand in my refrigerator but without fail it always contains the following:


Kale
Spinach
Apple or Pear
Cilantro or Parsley
Spoonful of chia seeds
Scoop of Super Green Foods
Hemp protein
Ice
Water


To vary it up from time to time I will add the following items.  Not all at once, just interchangeably.


Banana
Blueberries
Cucumber
Celery


It is all about experimentation and what taste best to you.  Some people sweeten their smoothie with a stevia or a squeeze of honey.  Others use more than one fruit at a time for sweetness.


The one thing I never do is use a dairy product as a liquid base. Some say combing fruits with dairy products causes the fruit to ferment inside and can cause yeast issues, digestive issue, bloating, etc.


The thought of fermentation occurring inside of me is enough for me to skip the dairy.  However, remember our bio-individuality.  If you do not experience these symptoms then it is OK for you.


I have been asked by several people along the way if I would teach/show them how to make green smoothies.  With that in mind I am offering the following:


* Green Smoothie Presentation Workshops*


Location will be my home or if you wish to host in your own home with a group of friends.


The cost is $10 a person and this covers my time and food.


Email me at sdbrougher@gmail.com if you are interested in attending a workshop.  I am working on dates, but should have them set within the next few days.


To your health,
Sandra

0 comments: